Emergency? Call 01228 521 393

Contact Details Directions

Carlisle Vets

Travelling Abroad With Your Pet

Disclaimer: all details are correct at the time of writing. Owners are responsible for checking the most recent Government (Gov.uk) advice before attempting to travel with pets. 


Travelling within Europe and Northern Ireland 

From the 1st of January 2021, UK Pet Passports are no longer valid for travel to the EU or NI. To travel with dogs, cats or ferrets you now require an Animal Health Certificate. 

An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) is a legal requirement to take your pet into a European Union country without quarantine. 

Before the AHC is issued your pet must be: 

  • Microchipped (Or have a legible tattoo imprinted prior to 3 July 2011)
  • Vaccinated for rabies and up to date with booster vaccinations

If your pet is having the Rabies vaccine for the first time or their booster has lapsed there is a mandatory wait of 21 days after the Rabies vaccination before your pet can travel. 

The AHC is valid for entry to the EU for ten days after the date of issue. The AHC is valid for four months of onward movement between EU member states, but it must be issued in the language of the first country your pet enters in Europe. 

If you are planning to travel with a dog to Finland, Ireland, Malta, Northern Ireland or Norway they also require a tapeworm treatment prior to travel which is recorded on the AHC. 

The AHC is then used to re-enter GB.
Before re-entering GB, dogs must be treated by a qualified veterinarian against tapeworm. This should be no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before arriving in GB. 

A new AHC is needed for each trip to the EU or NI. 

Travelling to non-EU countries

Pets require an Export Health Certificate (EHC) to travel non-EU countries. 

Non-EU countries each have very different travel requirements; the requirements of each destination country are determined by the authorities in that country.  

We advise you give yourself plenty of time to research what is required for the specific country before you apply for an EHC. (i.e. some countries require specific blood tests). All relevant information and advice can be found on the Gov.UK website.  

Most countries will require a minimum of your pet to be: 

  •  Microchipped 
  • Vaccinated against Rabies  

All EHCs must be applied for online. Please contact the surgery to inform us when you are applying for an EHC.