Emergency? Call 01228 521 393

Contact Details Directions

Carlisle Vets

Flea Treatments

Fleas are blood sucking parasites that can make life miserable for both you and your pet.

They can cause:

  • Severe discomfort with symptoms like scratching, chewing, biting and restlessness
  • Flea Allergy Dermatitis – a very common skin condition in cats and dogs
  • Tapeworm infections
  • Anaemia in puppies and kittens

Adult fleas can begin feeding within seconds of jumping on your pet and can produce up to 50 eggs per day. These eggs can pass from your pet’s coat on to carpets and floors, quickly turning from just a few fleas into a major infestation in your home. That is why it is vital to treat an infestation of fleas quickly and to make sure your pet is regularly protected with preventative treatments before it ever comes across a single flea. These are usually given once a month and can either be in spot-on liquid or tablet form.

However, even with regular preventative treatments if you notice any fleas in your pet’s fur or in your home, you should make sure your home is flea-free too. The numbers of adult fleas you find can be deceptive, as they only represent 5% of the life cycle. The other 95% is made up of the egg, larval and pupal stages which all take place around your home. In order to break this cycle we recommend thoroughly hoovering and washing your carpets, floors, furniture, bedding and anywhere your pet sleeps or likes to spend time. In addition, we would also recommend using a house spray which can kill the pre-adult stages in the environment.

Please contact the surgery if you wish to find out more.