Emergency? Call 01228 521 393

Contact Details Directions

Carlisle Vets

Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs:

Chocolate is potentially toxic to dogs. However, eating a couple of small pieces of chocolate is unlikely to harm your pet.

If your dog has eaten more than a small amount of chocolate, there may be some cause for concern. The following link will take you to the VetsNow chocolate toxicity calculator. This is a reliable tool that our vets often use, which will give you a rough idea as to the likelihood that your dog has eaten a dangerous amount. Simply input your pet’s details and the amount and type of chocolate eaten (You don’t have to be exact!) and the calculator will tell you if you should seek veterinary attention.

https://dog-chocolate-calculator.vets-now.com/

Factors and Symptoms:

Chocolate toxicity is dependent upon a number of factors:

a) The size of your dog. A smaller dog needs a proportionally smaller amount of chocolate to be in danger, and similarly a larger dog would need a larger amount.
b) The age of the dog. Chocolate poisoning may be more dangerous for young puppies and elderly dogs.
c) The health status of the dog.
d) The amount of chocolate eaten. A larger amount of chocolate is more likely to make your pet unwell.
e) The type of chocolate eaten. Chocolates with a higher cocoa content are generally more dangerous for dogs to eat.

The common symptoms of chocolate poisoning are sickness and diarrhoea. Dogs can also suffer from trembling. In extreme cases, chocolate poisoning can also cause heart dysfunction. If you notice any of these symptoms, please use the calculator linked above.

Treatment:

In some circumstances, we will recommend giving your pet an injection to make them sick so that they vomit up all the chocolate in their stomach. Other supportive treatments such as fluid therapy may also be deemed necessary, depending on the severity of the poisoning.

What To Do Next:

If you are still unsure as to the course of action to take when your dog has eaten chocolate, please give us a ring. We can provide veterinary advice 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.